This week the Digital Finance Institute hosted its 2nd Annual Canadian FinTech Awards, a night where 300+ stopped to celebrate Canadian innovation and thought leadership in FinTech sector. While not new, FinTech has been gaining a ton of momentum over the last two years as more and more startups have embraced and change the game of digital finance.
Eleven awards were presented to thirteen companies to recognize the talent of entrepreneurs, financiers, start-ups, thought leaders, banks, law firms, investors and many others who help develop and support companies in the financial technology sector in Canada.
Here are the winners of the 2016 Canadian FinTech Awards:
- CIBC for Financial Institution Innovator of the Year
- Kosta Peric from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation for Global Impact
- OMERS Ventures for Investor of the Year
- FinTech Association of Canada for Governance, Thought Leader & Organization
- Wildeboer Dellelce LLP for Professional Services Firm of the Year
- Zone Startups for Academic Institution Most Supportive of FinTech
- DMZ for Accelerator, Incubator or Entrepreneurial Network Most Supportive of FinTech
- Tapscott Group and First Capital Partners were the Judges’ Choice
- Thinking Capital for FinTech of the Year – Incumbent
- Wealthsimple for FinTech of the Year – Start-up
- SWIFT and Innotribe for Global Impact for its work launching a white paper for women in FinTech