I remember the days of day trading where I’d make $50 per share of RIM (now Blackberry) stock, ahhh, the good old days. According to some research from BMO InvestorLine found that almost 20 per cent of Canadians currently invest online. However, with so many young Canadians expecting to come on board, the study noted that this number could more than triple within the next decade.
The research uncovered a few other key things:
- Young and Connected: Eighty-one per cent of Canadians between the ages of 18 and 34 see themselves investing online in the next five years
- Percentage of online investors could more than triple within the next decade
- Majority of Canadians spend at least 30 hours per week online
- Top current online activities include browsing the news, personal banking and keeping in touch with family and friends
- BMO InvestorLine offers two unique online investing services to help different types of investors get started
What are Canadians currently doing online?
Other activities that Canadians of all ages are doing online include:
- Reading the news (77 per cent)
- Personal banking (77 per cent)
- Keeping in touch with family and friends (75 per cent)
- Gaming (69 per cent)
- Hobbies (63 per cent)
- Shopping (61 per cent)